Friday, January 29, 2010

Lisboa Portugal

Well I am running off of a very limited amount of sleep (maybe 3 hours total since Thursday when I woke up) and so I apologize if any parts of this blog doesn't make any sense!
As I implied last night, we went to the airport last night because we didn't want to worry about finding a taxi early in the morning and getting to our flight on time!  Well we made it through everything just fine.  When we arrived in Lisbon we had a quick cup of hot chocolate at the airport and then took a bus to the Rossio district of Lisbon.  This is where most of the trains, trams, etc pickup and drop off so it was a pretty centralized location.  The first thing we decided to do was find the St. George Castle which is on the highest hill in the city.  We of course got tired of waiting for the bus so we decided to walk up to it - HA!  It was severely up hill and nearly killed us - but we made it finally!  Once we finally arrived at the castle we decided to have a quick lunch at a nearby sandwich shop.  We went into the castle and took a guided tour at noon.  I really enjoyed having the guided tour because it was interesting to hear the history surrounding the castle.  One thing we didn't really realize until we got there was that it wasn't a castle so much any more but more of the ruins to the castle that was once there but fell into disrepair and also was partially destroyed in the Earthquake that Lisbon had in 1755ish.  After we finished the tours we walked around the surviving walls of the castle which gave us some incredible views and great pics!  After we did the Castle we took the bus back down the hill and checked into our hostel.

Hostel Kitsch

Decorated just like you think it would be - very 70s kitchen!  Random stuff all over the place.  Not my style and I was a little nervous when we first checked in - but the beds are clean and Colleen says the showers are warm so we won't complain!

Supper

After we checked into the hostel, Laura, Zach and I decided that we would be in charge of finding the grocery store and making us spaghetti for supper.  I won't say much else about it except for that supper was 7.16 Euros total (1 euro each) and that we did an amazing job of cooking it.

Elevator

After supper we took a tram ride around lisbon - I would tell you that is was a really great tour but it was more of just a really good rocking chair and we couldn't stay awake - luckily we woke back up at the end of the loop!  After that we went to the Santa Justa which is the elevator that lets you get a view of the city....it was neat!

Well we didn't do much else the rest of the night - I am super tired so I think I am going to call it an early night!

Love,

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Don't complain about climbing that hill. If you had read my email you were supposed to take the Tram 28. It goes right up the hill and winds through the streets.

    ReplyDelete