Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First Class

Well I had my first class (and only class for today)~!  We went over the syllabus in detail....I mean really in detail - we even read the academic dishonesty policy out loud!
The teacher seems really nice although she is a little hard to understand with her accent and the way she pronounces some of the words.  She seems really passionate about what we will be covering although I can tell right now that she is going to be a really tough grader - especially when it comes to the final 12 page paper which really has me concerned.

Right now I am sitting in the library and I just got some photos uploaded to facebook!  Be sure to check those out!  There are only 6 of them though and none are very good.  As I have been saying, the weather here is really nasty which makes it hard to be a good little tourist and take photos of everything I am seeing!

I think we are going to go out to eat with some girls again tonight!  I just felt my stomach grumble which I take to be good news!  First time that has happened! 

I miss you lots and lots so keep talking to me!

Love, Emily

By the way, my roommate Colleen posted on her blog some random things that she has noticed which is different in Spain and I would like to point out a few things as well

1.  "Everyone is out to rob you" - that is an english translation of what Nena told us the first day we took public transportation,  Because of this, I am giving out my shifty eyes to everyone that I see when I am out on the street and in the metro stops.

2. Spain is place to get all of your passport photos taken.  In the states I paid $8 for 2 photos - and actually I had to buy two sets.  Here in Spain they have photo booths for you to take your passport size photo and it costs you 3 euros for 6 of them.  What a rip off Walgreens.... I did notice the other day that you can go up to Comprehensive Care and use their photo printing machines to resize and print a photo to be a passport size photo.  I don't remember how much they charge, but it has to be better then 2 for 8 right?

3.  Milk comes in cartons and only is refridgerated after opening.  Also, it stays good for months at a time.  I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.  I know, I know, we are all rolling over right now aren't we!  This isn't your prarie farms milk :(  ...just another thing I am going to miss from Home.

4. I only get homesick when I am going back to our apartment for the day, and when I am at the apartment.  I think it is because this is where I am exposed to the cultural differences the most.  I am going to talk to someone tomorrow about how I am feeling and hopefully they can help me get some resolution - at least they should know of ways to help me survive!

5.  Buying drinks = free tapas!  At least this is how it was at the bar we visited last night.  Sorry Patrick and Paul, I can't remember the name of the bar - something in Spanish!  It started with an R.  Anyway had my first taste of Sangria...not too bad!

6. We don't eat supper until 9pm - which is crazy... I am not even hungry then!  Our senora makes us so much food.  For supper, we will have soup and bread to start out with, followed by the main meal usually some sort of meat and rice, then she wants us to have dessert to which is fruit or yogurt usually.  I have not been able to eat all of that and I feel like I am being so wasteful - but I also do not want to gain 20lbs while I am here - I don't want to even gain 2.  Losing 10 would be nice though!   I really wish I could have an appetite again - although I am feeling a little hungry now - hopefully that is a good sign. 

Well that is really all I have to report now - going to go out with a few people I know tonight which will be nice I think!  I feel fine when I am out with people! It helps to have friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment